Styler Ribarovic's Reviews > The October Horse

The October Horse by Colleen McCullough

Mar 13, 11

Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is a heavy undertaking, but it is lush in scope and a thrilling historical novel.

First off, however, is the subheading of this novel says it is a novel of Caesar & Cleopatra, but it really isn't. That makes up a small part of this huge novel. And secondly, you do not need to have read the previous five novels to grasp this one. I haven't, and I understood this novel quite fine on it's own.

The first 500 pages are brillant historical fiction, detailed to the letter, but still engaging and easy to follow. Her dialogue shines, and the descriptions make you feel as though you really have been transported to this time period. McCullough's attention to detail and the way she has clearly studied her history shows.

The reason it is four stars instead of five, is the final 250 pages do not hold the same allure. Not that it isn't interesting, but after such an interesting character like Caesar is gone, it is almost like whatever follows won't hold up. If the final 250 pages were in the start of book seven, then maybe I would have found them more engaging. However, they are not, and at times it felt a bit plodding to get through.

But the first 500 pages are fantastic, and the final 250 can't take away or ruin such a great historical fiction novel. If you are looking for a heavy read, with fantastic history and detail, this is your novel.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The October Horse.

03/07/2011 page 124