Lil' Grogan's Reviews > Counterpoint

Counterpoint by Rachel Haimowitz

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, humour, 4, romance, m-m
Read from January 23 to 25, 2011

This was my intro to high fantasy done by a romance author. I have to admit I wasn't too keen (my own prejudices), and probably wouldn't have read this if I hadn't won it through the author's blog tour.

Found this to be an interesting balance of fantasy and romance (while allowing for eroticism): balancing the tropes of magic in old world times, the big battle, betrayal among races, court intrigues, the romance between captive and indulgent captor. I liked the gradual world building and found the interweaving of the small world (between the heroes) and larger world smoothly done.
The relationship between Ayden and Freyrik benefited from the humour between them. And, any time there's creative fantasy swearing, I'm on board. =)
Thought the use of music in Ayden's perception of the world was a wonderful way to describe his magic. One particular passage where music and nature are used to describe Ayden's state of mind sticks out for me as beautifully done.
Did sometimes find the mix between old and modern language disconcerting as, at times, there was a concentration of one and not the other.
Overall, I'm impressed with the author's crafting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counterpoint.