Eden Winters's Reviews > Guardian

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: need-to-buy-sequel, favorites
Recommended to Eden by: P.D. Singer
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

As a teen I'd often wait until the family had gone to bed, then I'd switch on my bedside lamp, reading late into the night. If I'd been recently busted for being up after lights out, I'd hide under the covers with a favorite read and a flashlight. The worlds created in the pages of books transported me to another place and time. Sweeping epics carried me away, and before I knew it, I'd stayed up much too late. Again.

Fast forward a few years. Okay, a lot of years. The words are viewed through bifocal lenses now, but the same all-consuming urge to stay up all night and read has overtaken me again. I've become engulfed in a world so foreign, and yet so familiar, that has pulled me in completely. I couldn't stop reading, and had to force myself to put this book down or else be late for work, thanks to the incredibly talented Carole Cummings.

Aisling Book One is a young adult novel that introduces us to two very opposite men. Wil, living a life of fear and yet so determined to be free of those who'd enslave him; Dallin, whose stoic, analytical mind must bend to accept what he's previously believed to be myth. Thanks to very descriptive writing and a perfectly paced plot, I found myself in the shoes of both men, living in their world, and came to care for these two unique individuals and the allies they meet along the way. (I'd also like to hurt anyone who dares look at poor Wil with ill intent!) And while the book ends with our heroes yet to form a bond, the lead-up is riveting.

Fabulous world-building and characterizations make this a must read. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I envy this author's way with words.

Want to get away from it all? Take a mental vacation with Aisling. This is book one of what I believe will be a trilogy. Ms. Cummings, please say the sequel will publish soon!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian.

04/28/2011 page 92
28.0% "OMG! What a riveting tale!"
04/29/2011 page 232
70.0% "Stayed up late last night reading. This book is so hard to put down!" 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole Cummings *blinks* Holy cow, Eden. I have no idea what to say to this. Just... holy cow. Thank you. It means a lot to me. It means a lot.

The boys will be back come June. Prizm changed their pub schedule to twice-yearly instead of quarterly, so two and three were pushed out to June and December. I'm all mushy and teribly pleased that you enjoyed book one, and I hope you enjoy the other two, as well.

Thank you. (Can I hug you now? *hugs*)

message 3: by Feliz (new) - added it

Feliz thakn you for the rec, Eden!

Eden Winters Carole: all hugs appreciated! Long after putting the book down, these characters still haunt my thoughts.

Lisa and Feliz: I believe you're gonna love this book. This author has an amazing voice.

P.D. Singer I did this exact same thing - I put everything on hold to finish this book, because it's just that good.