Victoria's Reviews > Junky

Junky by William S. Burroughs

Jan 23, 11

Recommended to Victoria by: Josh Briggs and Carol Fahey
Read in December, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Many thanks to both Josh and Carol for the priceless gift of Burroughs' most cogent work! The preface was an eerie autobiographical summary of Burroughs' life. Although no explicit connection is made between the salience of the odd details Burroughs decides to share of his life to the addiction of a junky that follows, the reader is forced to ask "Why Burroughs? Why?" Once this incipit hurdle is overcome, or more appropriately ingrained in the mind of the reader, a way of life is presented in glorious methodical detail, and the reader comes to embrace the nuances of the life of a junky. An addiction to the all-encompassing junk is neither glorified nor derided, but it merely is described. The pervasiveness of detail and description sans the provision of an explanatory meaning is the most perplexing aspect of this novel. I found myself begging Burroughs to provide a value system for this way of life, yet the lack thereof emphasizes societies morbid fascination with all things taboo. The Junkie ennui was fascinating! I had a merry Christmas indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junky.