Ljubomir's Reviews > Дания: От наченките до наши дни

Дания by Jörg-Peter Findeisen

Mar 03, 15

bookshelves: non-fiction, history
Read from January 23 to February 27, 2011

Anyone interested in Danish history would find this book informative and useful.
Still, it is not flawless. Jörg-Peter Findeisen says that he aims to widen the readers' knowledge of Denmark and its people. To my disappointment, however, the book does not include any cultural background. Something, which is crucial if one really wants to get to know a particular country and a part of history which I consider to be no less important than the merely political facts.

At times the style can get either taking or tedious, but for the most part it is neutral. The text is not entirely consistent, though. It may happen that the author pays too much attention to certain events and merely mentions others, and not always in a chronological order, as he sometimes gets carried away. This can be a bit confusing, particularly near the end of the book, where the author floods the reader with a series of years and names, without always making it clear how one thing lead to another. For example, one moment Denmark is in the worst crisis for the last century, and the next everything is going well.

Nevertheless, Jörg-Peter Findeisen does a good overall job at explaining the historical situation.
The book is comprehensive, but there are still some events which I think should have received more attention, namely the campaigns of the Danish vikings in Normandy, the Reformation in Denmark and the Danish privateering from at the beginning of the 19th century (the last is not so significant, but is still interesting).
Also, the last part of the book focuses almost entirely on the problems Denmark has and the reader is left with the false impression that the country has been I a crisis for the last couple of centuries.

Other than that, the book offers a good and accessible overview of Danish history and I would recommend it to people interested in the subject.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Дания.