Katie's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, books-read-in-2011
Read from January 23 to July 07, 2011

AND DONE. This took me forever. I started it, put it aside, and it just took me months to get back to it. It just has such excessive description. I'm not much for description anyway, but this minute detail seems unnecessary. I felt like I was being told the life of history of almost every character the narrator crossed paths with.

And it just never came together for me. I don't know how to answer what this story was about. Nothing happened. So much of the story was the narrator relying other events. I feel like I know little about her, what happened to her. And I feel like first person POV might've been the wrong narrator choice for this. The narrator made references to visiting her grandfather's birthplace, talking to people there, but she still wouldn't know everything she described. About all the pasts of these characters, all their thoughts and feelings.

And I just never felt connected to these characters. I just . . . as I said, too much description and yet also, not enough of what I wanted to know. I don't know about the narrator or her friend. And for all that description, I didn't feel like this book had much of a sense of place. I didn't feel connected to the setting, either.

Just very much not a book for me, I suppose.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.

01/23/2011 "Just won this! :) Looking forward to it arriving!"
02/15/2011 "Arrived in the mail today! Yay! Should probably finish something before I start it, though."
02/24/2011 page 7
2.0% "Getting around to read this. :D"
03/12/2011 page 25
7.0% "Not flowing for me yet, but maybe it's too early to worry about that."
07/04/2011 page 151
45.0% "Finally trying to just get done with this. Pretty slow going, but maybe I'll like it in the end?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catriona Oh my God Katie, I FINALLY finished this having started in January and I could not agree more with everything you say. I have no idea what the point of the story was. I don't know who I was supposed to care about. I didn't really get the point of the tiger. The only bits that I actually enjoyed we're the chapters telling the story of the Deathless man. So glad it's over!

Katie I AM SO GLAD IT'S NOT JUST ME. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of "literature," but usually I can get SOMETHING out of it.