Sweetp-1's Reviews > Wolfskin

Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, fantasy, a-nz-connection
Read from January 06 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy

Marillier is near the top of my favourite authors list. I love the way she weaves fantasy and magic together and creates compelling stories that hint at fairytale and mythology. Again, Marillier takes an Olde Worlde setting for Wolfskin - this time in the Orkney Islands. (My geographical/historical knowlegdge of this area is zilch so if like me you're thinking 'where is that exactly?....' They are the islands north of Scotland. Surprisingly close to the Norwegian Coast in fact.) The story begins with Eyvind, a viking "wolfskin" which Marillier has based on the ultimate viking soldier, the beserk (I NEVER knew this was where the word came from ...). Eyvind and his Norse brothers in arms sail for unknown land and end up in the Light Isles. I sort of took the culture of the gentle island folk to be Pictish with their reverence to the land and ancient gods - interestingly there is also a Christian monk outpost in the area, also based on true accounts of monks sea travelling 'blind' from Ireland.
As you can imagine the story then follows what happens when two cultures collide. There is also a touching love story, a truly unlikeable villian, a healthy dose of magic/supernatural and the requisite hero story arc of transformation from brute-ish warrior to defender of the weak/hero of the hour.
The earlier Sevenwaters books are still my favourite of Marillier's work but Wolfskin is a solid, enjoyable read that did not disappoint.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfskin.

01/06/2012 "I have book 2 of this series out of the library so need to get on and read this one first!"
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Shauna (new) - added it

Shauna I loved Marillier's Sevenwaters series, if you've got another winner there let me know ;-)

Sweetp-1 I loved Sevenwaters too. I haven't read the very last one yet though. Wolfskin is great. It's the same sort of fairytale atmosphere, that she does SO well, but set on the orkney islands with norsemen. I actually haven't read anything of hers I haven't really liked yet :)

message 3: by Shauna (new) - added it

Shauna No, same here :) Daughter of the Forest in particular has to be one of my all time favorite books (Red!! *girlish sigh*) Right, Wolfskin goes on the to-reads then..

message 4: by Maylin (new)

Maylin This looks like an author I should try.

If you would like another good book set in the Orkneys I can recommend King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett. As the title suggests it is the story of MacBeth, who was King of the Orkneys.