Mogsy (MMOGC)'s Reviews > The Lunatic Cafe

The Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton

Feb 09, 11

bookshelves: vampires, urban, paranormal, shapeshifters
Read from February 07 to 09, 2011

It's been many years since I read the first three Anita Blake novels and I thought I'd pick the series up again. I remember liking the books, which is why I was a little surprised to discover I didn't find this one quite so enjoyable. Might be because I was still a teenager when I read 1-3 and I've since been exposed to more authors and books in this genre with better stories and writing.

I also don't remember Anita being so annoying. Again, maybe it's because I've matured a lot since junior high, and now reading this series again sometimes I just want to reach out and slap her for being so childish and belligerent. For someone who tries so hard to be so tough, she sure does get manipulated a lot by the people around her.

There was a good story here, but so many times it almost got lost in the werewolf-vampire-girl love triangle soap opera, and to be honest, it wasn't even that great of a werewolf-vampire-girl love triangle soap opera! This book probably could have been 30% shorter if there hadn't been so much running around in circles. I hope the next book is better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lunatic Cafe.

02/08/2011