CynthiaA's Reviews > The Vision of Emma Blau

The Vision of Emma Blau by Ursula Hegi

Jan 22, 11

bookshelves: pre-2008, set-during-wwi-2, bookcrossing
Read in February, 2006

This was a good book, although not as good as Stones from the River, by the same author. I wouldn't call this a 'sequel' although there is some character overlap. The two books stand alone though. The strength of this book lies in its characters. Everyone is likeable yet flawed, but not overly-flawed. Some, more flawed than others. Some, more likeable than others. Even the "bit" characters are wonderful. I especially liked the way the characters interacted. How they loved and fought like real people -- the relationships were very believable. My favorite character was Helene Montag/Blau. She was wonderfully human. Impetuous and dreamy, self-conscious and yet confident, petty and generous at the same time, loving but still holding back her love too. I would love her if I were ever to meet her in real life. The story itself was fine -- it kept my attention and I liked the way the house became a character unto itself. I struggled with the part of the story about Emma as an adult... it just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the book, and I had a hard time immagining Emma allowing that to happen to herself. But maybe that's supposed to be the tragedy of it.Anyhow, very good book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vision of Emma Blau.