Jennifer's Reviews > Mr. Perfect

Feb 04, 11

liked it
bookshelves: romance, suspense, read-in-1-sitting
Read in February, 2011

Read this in one sitting. While I definitely enjoyed it, I'm on the fence with 3/4 stars. I landed at 3 because I just don't feel this is ultimately going to be a very memorable book for me. I wanted to read something of Howard's because she is so popular and this book was so well-liked by others. It was also readily available at the library. I can see why it's so popular, really, it's incredibly appealing in a very mainstream way. There is a hot romance, some suspense, and a happy ending. What's not to like?

Well, for me, it just didn't POP too much. The romance was great but I knew from the start she was going to fall for him. I did enjoy their verbal sparring very much though, and the sex scenes were really well-written! The suspense was just ho-hum for me. I figured out the twist really early on so that was disappointing. The whole "List" concept that the 4 ladies come up with was really not that interesting. I had a hard time with all the attention they seemed to get from it. I wonder how much times have changed in America since 2000 when this was set to have me thinking that?

Howard does write good (if predictable) characters. Even though I never really got Jaine's supposedly sharp, amazing sense of humor, I felt the other character's connections to it in their interactions. Jaine herself was fun and reminded me not a little of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum. Her romance with Sam definitely reminded me of Stephanie's with Joe Morelli (though it actually went somewhere, thank god!). The one big difference is, this book didn't have me laughing out loud nearly as much as Evanovich's!

I liked it, it was a solid diversion for the 4 or so hours I read it in. But I don't feel the need to go find her other books right away or anything.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Perfect.