Liz Blue's Reviews > The Tin Star

The Tin Star by J.L. Langley

Feb 09, 11

bookshelves: own, contemporary, ebook, m-m-romance, cowboys
Read in February, 2011

I'll admit it...I don't get it. This book has outstanding reviews, and it so didn't do it for me.

Let me start out with what I liked--

the names.
the beginning.
the first kiss.

OK. Hm. Not much there. Now, the things that bothered me:

1. Too! Many! Exclamation! Points!
2. The internal dialogue sounded identical for Ethan and Jamie. I couldn't tell who was thinking.
3. Also, the internal dialogue didn't sound very authentic. Too many "Oh man!"s and "Ah jeez!"es. They sounded like 14-year-old boys. And while I would've bought it for Jamie, it just didn't ring true for Ethan.
4. Overuse of endearments. Yes, real life people overuse endearments but I don't have to read their dialogue.
5. This book embodies why I'm not a fan of romantic suspense. So often the romance suffers because of the preeminence of the suspense in plotting, and yet the suspense is not well done. The mystery was a big fat yawn. It managed to be both predictable and not sufficiently motivated.
6. And that means there was no real conflict. Every opportunity for conflict was neatly avoided. May-December? No big deal. Best friend banging a younger brother? No big deal. New lover not telling an important secret? No big deal. Gay dudes on a Texas ranch? Except for a few villain caricatures, no big deal. LOTS of potential, and thus lots of disappointment.
7. Ok, so it's m-m--I don't expect a whole lot of well-developed female characters. But it really bothered me the way the sister was portrayed. She played a significant role in the story but was never allowed to develop beyond surface characterization. I've read lots of m-m (already) that did a much better job with much less significant characters.

I'm reading at least one more J.L. Langley because I've already purchased the Englor Affair--and I was planning to read at least one of the paranormal series because it's so highly rated. So maybe this really is just a problem that I have with cowboy books. I guess we'll see.

It started out really well. I don't much like cowboy m-f, but I started this and thought, well, hey! Maybe cowboy m-m is better.

Maybe not.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tin Star.