Matt's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Feb 03, 11

Read from January 22 to February 03, 2011

I'm a huge fan of fantasy like Robert Jordan's WHEEL OF TIME or George R. R. Martin's GAME OF THRONES, so while some here describe the young Roland flashback as a "detour" or a "waste of time," I call it fan-freaking-tastic.

I've never warned up to Eddie or (god help us) Susannah as characters, and I've been less than "whelmed" with talking monorails or giant robot bears. But damn if King didn't drop a 500 page masterpiece of fantasy fiction square in the middle of this book. I cared more about Cuthbert, Alain, Sheemie, and Susan than I have about any of the other "main" characters in the previous three volumes, and I wish King would have used this book as the starting point for his series.

But, Alas, I understand that many actually LIKE the bizarre Dark Tower world, so who am I to deny them? All I know is that by plowing through some questionable material I got to read one of the best pure fantasy novels I've read in quite a while, and for that I am forever grateful.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.

01/30/2011
40.0% "The story of young Roland and his friends is better than anything that's come before in the previous three and a half books. I'd gladly have just read THIS section and skipped all the "honk mahfahs" and other nonsense."
show 3 hidden updates…