Bridget's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: read-on-kindle, 501-must-read-books
Read from February 03 to April 20, 2011

I should caveat this review by saying that I read this book very slowly, over a period of 2 months as a sort of buffer book. If I finished a book mid-commute or was really slow at work, I would pick this up and read 5 or 10% at a time. That probably accounts for SOME of why I disliked this book so much. But really, I just hated it. Victor Frankenstein was a DRAMA QUEEN. The whole book was one long whine-fest. I guess this is a spoiler if you know nothing about Frankenstein, but I assume most people know the story:

Frankenstein has no friends, so he makes a friend. The "friend" is an ugly monster and at first sight, Frankenstein runs away. Then Frankenstein is depressed. He travels. He's depressed. He travels some more. He talks about being depressed some more. The monster says, yo, Frankenstein, I'll leave you alone if you make me a wife. Frankenstein refuses...and the cycle of travel and depression continue.

How about this Frankenstein? Maybe you shouldn't have run away from the monster who just wanted a friend (like you did) just because he was ugly. Maybe stop whining that you're depressed and do something about it. What was so wrong with making the ugly monster a friend? The monster was only a monster because everyone treated him as such.

Ok, that's enough rant. But also, why the F do we all call the monster Frankenstein at Halloween when clearly Frankenstein was the creator?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

02/04/2011
5.0% "slow goings, mary shelley, slow goings."
03/02/2011
20.0% "I feel like I am skimming this but am not invested at all."
03/16/2011
40.0% "ok, it's starting to get a little better. way to bury the lead, Mary Shelley."
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Because most Americans don't read classic literature outside of school.

message 2: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I haven't read it but I knew that people misused the name. Is it partially b/c the monster has no name? (or does he?)

Bridget In the book (I can't speak for any movie versions) - the monster is never given a name but is just referred to as "monster" or "demon".

message 4: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather So maybe the mistake is just based on lack of anything better/distinguishing? - and it was probably b/c it took on the name of the BOOK, not the other character (though, obviously the book is named after that character). Whatever.

Bridget All I got from the book was that Frankenstein (the creator) was a dick and Frankenstein (the monster) was a victim of cruelty and prejudice. It actually made me start thinking about a whole nature vs. nurture debate but then I realized I was reading way too much into this book.

message 6: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather That is interesting though given that you're now reading Lord of the Flies! I read that sophomore year of HS and our theme for the semester or the year or whatever was, "Is man inherently good or inherently evil?"