Steven's Reviews > Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years

Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend

Feb 05, 11

Read from January 22 to 31, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I've been a Mole fan for many years, and the release of a new instalment is always something to celebrate. This one, however, I ended up feeling a bit indifferent to after reading it. That's not to say it's a bad book - there are still some cracking comic moments, and Sue Townsend's writing of Adrian is still wonderful, managing to make him incredibly annoying and yet still entirely relatable. She doesn't waste her material either, using his prostate cancer to make several valid political points.

Really, my problem was more with the things that happen around Adrian - that yet another happy ending from a previous book has had to be untangled and that his marriage to Daisy is now in disarray. The Daisy in this book feels completely unrecognisable from the Daisy of Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction - perhaps this is just Mole as unreliable narrator, but part of me wondered if it wasn't just Daisy being changed to suit the plot. Likewise Pandora, who seems to have had something of a character overhaul from several of the previous stories.

I did enjoy reading this, but ultimately I found it to be less than the sum of its parts - and the ending was fairly unsatisfying, partly because it feels suspiciously similar to the ending of Adrian Mole The Wilderness Years and partly because I assume it'll all be undone in the event of another addition to the Mole canon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adrian Mole.

01/23/2011 page 231