Kathrina's Reviews > The True Meaning of Smekday

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

Jan 28, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-read-with-my-kids
Read from January 22 to 25, 2011

Fun and tasty! Like eating popcorn, and now and then crunching on something hard, not cracking-teeth hard, but stop-and-make-you-think-hard.
This is my favorite road-trip-with-aliens adventure (and I've read a few). If you were about to pick up Going Bovine, put that honker down (gently, it's heavy) and read this instead. This also gets an A+ for consistent and amusing fictional dialect, a winner for language buffs and fans of The Phantom Tollbooth. And congrats to you for the Iowa Children's Choice Awards nomination! (I can actually direct that to Rex because he is a goodreads author and we will be friends now.) A young Iowa girl asked me for Iowa Children's Choice recommendations yesterday, and even though I was only halfway through, I urged this thing upon her, and she bought it. I finished it today, and I can rest assured that my recommendation still holds firm. If she doesn't like it, she has not yet met J.Lo. The alien. Not the pretty lady. She is not as good at singing.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Meaning of Smekday.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Adam Rex.

Kathrina I must assume that Adam Rex has not checked his goodreads account since my post, because we will surely be bff. Surely.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just sent him a friend request, because he and I should be besties. I feel like a total dork though.

Kathrina Dork? No. He's a hottie. I'm sure he talks like j.Lo in real life.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathrina wrote: "Dork? No. He's a hottie. I'm sure he talks like j.Lo in real life."

Ha! No, I meant I was a dork; he is clearly a hottie. Did you see the Boov training video?

Kathrina Rex has not checked his account since Boovember 124th. He is overdue.