Katie's Reviews > The Fire in Ember: A Novel

The Fire in Ember by DiAnn Mills

Mar 14, 2011

Read from January 26 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

With her hands tied behind her back and a rope about her neck, Ember’s chances of living don’t look good. This is the scene that unfolds to begin this gripping story. It captured my attention and carried me on through the book until I reached the final pages. I love when I shut a book after reading the last sentence…then open it to flip through the pages again, savoring each exciting moment! That shows you what I think of the adventures tucked within its pages – I want to relive every moment over again!

John was instantly a likable fellow. I loved how hard working he was and how he always looked out for those nearest and dearest to him. I found myself easily liking this hero and cheering him on as he wrestled with the spirited Ember (or who was better known as Bert, during her ‘boy disguising’ days). Ember also was easy to grow attached to. She had such a scarred and bruised past that she so desperately wanted to keep hidden so she could keep others safe. I think that’s one thing that completely attached me to her – she kept trying to run, but it was because she didn’t want to bring trouble to those she cared about. She’d rather deal with the dangers by herself than see a loved one hurt. What a heroine!

The Timmons brothers brought smiles to my face in the way they teased and roughed with each other. And when the boys discovered that Ember was not a boy – why I just about laughed out loud at their reaction! Another character that I grew attached to as such a wonderful mother-figure was Leah. She had suffered much in the past few years with the murder of her husband, but she had a houseful of boys and one lonely, scared girl on the run to care for. She never looked down on anyone, but treated everyone equally. I always loved when Leah imparted her wisdom to her boys or to Bert. She was a very endearing character and reminded me of the Proverbs 31 woman.

There is very little in this book that I need warn you about – DiAnn wrote it exceptionally clean and teen friendly. One of the characters does confess that she had been used in earlier years, but DiAnn wrote it with such care that I almost didn’t think it need warning! Through and through, it was clean and held valuable lessons about trust and finding redemption in Christ. The Fire in Ember is a great book with lessons hidden within – I recommend it to other historical fiction adventure/mystery/suspense lovers!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire in Ember.

01/26/2011 page 59
01/26/2011 page 264
83.0% "Wow! This is really getting good!! :-D"