Mado's Reviews > Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez

Jan 22, 2011

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of My Melancholy Whores.

Quotes Mado Liked

Gabriel García Márquez
“I discovered that my obsession for having each thing in the right place, each subject at the right time, each word in the right style, was not the well-deserved reward of an ordered mind but just the opposite: a complete system of pretense invented by me to hide the disorder of my nature. I discovered that I am not disciplined out of virtue but as a reaction to my negligence, that I appear generous in order to conceal my meanness, that I pass myself off as prudent because I am evil-minded, that I am conciliatory in order not to succumb to my repressed rage, that I am punctual only to hide how little I care about other people’s time. I learned, in short, that love is not a condition of the spirit but a sign of the zodiac.”
Gabriel García Márquez, Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Gabriel García Márquez
“The adolescents of my generation, greedy for life, forgot in body and soul about their hopes for the future until reality taught them that tomorrow was not what they had dreamed, and they discovered nostalgia.”
Gabriel García Márquez, Memories of My Melancholy Whores