J.I.'s Reviews > Dark Rain: A New Orleans Story

Dark Rain by Mat Johnson

Dec 17, 2012

bookshelves: read-2011, to-read
Read in January, 2011

Mat Johnson is a talented writer who goes astray in his graphic novels. It starts off on the right foot. An otherwise good guy with some problems makes a bad decision and goes to jail because of it. Alright. The other character, the thief, is paralleled as well, but his character isn't particularly interesting. Then Katrina happens and the thief is going to take the opportunity to rob the bank that caught him stealing; this being the backdrop for race/class relations that are actually pretty interesting. Unfortunately, three quarters of the way through our hero, a good man, all in all, makes a plot decision that doesn't fit his character at all which leads to an all-too-short climax action and a resolution so hackneyed and rushed it hurt. If this book had been 120 pages longer, I think it could have been truly wonderful, but it isn't and it just feels crammed. Maybe it's a money issue and he is given only so much space or maybe it is him trying to cave to convention too much that he dips below even the convention standards. I don't know. If you enjoyed this or Incognegro, I recommend checking out his novels as they are given the space they need and are much better for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Rain.