Trisha's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Feb 12, 11

bookshelves: classics, drama, reviewed
Read from February 04 to 12, 2011

Finally got done reading this tonight. I thought it was a beautiful read, sad and meaningful but so lively at the same time. Scout is so much fun to read, and I love how she's so indignant sometimes to her own detriment. I love how she constantly insisted she could understand everything just as well as Jem.

It was interesting how Jem changed over the book - he certainly never lost interest in his sister, even if at times he had 'cooler' things to do than hang out with her. He turned from a comrade into a protector/big brother, and I think they definitely became better friends, if different to how they started.

The whole Tom Robinson ordeal was pretty sad, and I felt sorry for Mayella, even though she did wrong by Tom.

I'm confused by the fact that, apparently, Harper Lee saw her novel as "a simple love story". Does she mean love in general, or an actual romance? I'm thinking it must be the former. Familial love, community love, etc. But maybe someone can enlighten me?

This is indeed the first time I read this novel. And it's about time, I must say!

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheery It's been so long since I've read the book that I can't comment on what Harper Lee may have meant by it being a love story.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, though. I remember loving it. I think I want to re-read it soon.

Trisha Yeah, it was really great - and I'm glad I finally read it. :P Only took me 30 years! lol