Lisa Vegan's Reviews > South

South by Patrick McDonnell

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Gundula
Recommended for: pre-readers & listeners & readers; those who love birds, cats, nature, sweet & funny stories
Read on February 05, 2011

This nearly wordless picture book has such a sweet story, that of a bird whose flock mates have flown south for the winter while the bird was left behind because of falling asleep. A cat helps him and leads him on a journey, and they finally find some temporarily resting birds, so he can join the other birds. Both bird and cat are wonderful characters. This is a book that young pre-readers, if they know that birds migrate, will be able to “read” and understand this book for themselves. This is a story that people of all ages can enjoy. Readers who like birds, cats, and nature in general are likely to be delighted while reading it. It’s sweet and funny. The pictures are wonderfully simple and tell the story well. This is a lovely example of simple being powerful, and of making a wonderful story. It tugged at my heartstrings; I felt a myriad of emotions while reading it, including grief, angst, amusement and joy. I really liked it and can see sharing it with children and buying it to give as gifts too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gundula Great review, I also loved how simple, but powerful this story was.

Lisa Vegan Gundula wrote: "Great review, I also loved how simple, but powerful this story was."

Gundula, Thanks. I loved your review and I think you also mentioned something like this in your review.

Kathryn Thanks for recommending this to me. It was lovely!

Lisa Vegan Oh, so glad you liked it, Kathryn.

Lisa Vegan I hope you like it, Abigail. It's spare, but oh so cute.