Sarah's Reviews > The Last Family In England

The Last Family In England by Matt Haig

Jan 22, 2011

liked it
Read from January 31 to February 28, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Duty Over All - this is the main tenet of the Labrador Pact, upheld by Labradors who believe that protecting their human family is of the utmost importance. Protect one family, protect them all. Now Prince's family, the Hunters, is under threat both from within and from without, and he's starting to find that The Pact hasn't equipped him to deal with the dangers he and his family are facing. What must he do to keep the family he loves together and safe?

The concept sounds a bit cheesy at face value, but Haig pulls it off very well. The dogs in the story are well characterised, if a little stereotyped, and the world as seen through Prince's eyes (and nose!) is quite believable. The characters are sympathetic, the problems and the pain felt both by the dogs and the humans is engaging, and the plot is intricate and well-paced enough to make this quite a page-turner in places.

I'd like to give it a solid 3.5 stars, but I don't feel it was quite good enough to merit 4, so I've rounded down to 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Family In England.

02/04/2011 page 192