Lee Ann's Reviews > Light a Penny Candle

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy

F_50x66
Jan 22, 11

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book truly captures the essence of friendship and love. The characters are real and their experiences are relatable and familiar, especially for any woman who has had a best friend that has been a part of their life - through childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood; through the good and bad.

Although the characters, Aisling and Elizabeth, are very very different from each other, they complement each other well and support one another in the most perfect and beautiful way.

I found myself hoping for certain outcomes and rooting for the girls, as they had endured some of life's most troubling and exciting events - together and apart. The story is balanced between life in Kilgarret and life in London and portrays a real picture of the different lives these women lead and how they remained friends throughout the years. I loved that handwritten letters played such an important role in maintaining their friendship once they lived apart.

My only disappointment in this book was the last part because I felt that it spiraled a bit out of control. The characters were not true to what the entire story had described them as, and I felt that it was too fast-paced. I can appreciate the way it ended, but it didn't feel natural.

While reading this book, I kept thinking back to the opening pages and wondering how the scene in the coroner's court played into the overall story. Very cleverly done. I actually went back to read the first chapter after finishing the book so that it came full circle.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light a Penny Candle.