Monica's Reviews > Beat the Band

Beat the Band by Don Calame

Feb 01, 11

Read in February, 2011

Just like it's predecessor, Swim the Fly, this book had me in tears from laughing so hard. Cooper Redmond decides that for their sophomore year goal, he and buds Matt and Sean will get to all the bases with, he hopes, the four hottest girls of the class. Yes, he crude and objectifies girls, especially when he's daydreaming of foursomes. Most teenage boys also hope for a girl to ask for a co-ed shower. What's funny is he doesn't stand a chance at any at scoring at these things, let alone first base. Living in a house full of males makes me appreciate the witty put-downs and sleeping with your mama jokes and the fart scene in the library. Cooper's rep will seriously go downhill if he's forced to partner with Helen for a semester long health project like his teacher expects him to. Cooper becomes part of a plot to get Helen to realize her life would be better elsewhere and switch schools. But the more he has to spend time with her, the more he likes her. Cooper does some growing up, but Helen's forgiveness comes too easily and I feel he will grow up acting like his father. Which means he will do what he wants then try to smooth things over with the wifey later. And that's if she somehow finds out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat the Band.