Tony's Reviews > Vegas Knights

Vegas Knights by Matt Forbeck

Jan 22, 11

Read on January 22, 2011

First up if you are looking for high brow epic fiction or Harry Potter goes to college this is not the book for you.

OK, that is probably the most negative I am going to be about this book. I have been a fan of Matt Forbeck since his Deadlands days and love his Bloodbowl novels. I recently read and enjoyed Amortals but was surprised to find this book arguably better. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes modern fast paced fiction.

The plot begins with a pair of students going to Vegas to try and buck the system and win big on their spring break, unlike the thousands of others who have tried this they have the edge (or at least they think they do) of being able to use magic. At times the story flies by at the pace of a CSI recap scene and it is not easy to put this book down. The narrative is vivid and descriptive without detracting from the story and it is easy to place yourself within the story, the characters are believable and you genuinely want the main character to succeed in preventing the nefarious plot that he is drawn into. Magic in this story has the interesting twist of appearing to be more akin to quantum physics adding to the sense of realism that the here and now setting gives. I have no doubt that I'll be reading this book again which is the best thing I can ever say about a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegas Knights.