Alex's Reviews > Die Trying

Die Trying by Lee Child

Jan 22, 11

bookshelves: mystery, series

Like many action novels one has to suspend belief so certain plot twists can occur. In the first Reacher novel there was the coincidence with his brother's investigation. That was ok for me. I enjoyed the story, the plot twists and discovering a new character that seemed to have interesting potential.
I wanted to like this novel and I'll probably give the third one a try but not for a while. There were too many incongruities for me. Bad guys who burn innocents in the trunks of cars and kill their best friends inexplicably leave Reacher alive and mostly unharmed. A woman with a knee freshly operated on has it kicked and stomped on but is up hobbling about fairly quickly. These bad guys were just idiots and even more unbelievable was that Reacher didn't take them all out sooner. The ending was pretty abrupt and also unbelievable. After all that has happened Reacher is left on the side of the highway to hitch hike off into the sunset? He could have awoken fresh from a dream for all the impact and consequence.

The writing style reminds me of a screen play and I could see this as a film our TV series. The action scenes are written well and I like the way the story crosses genres, thriller/military/detective/action. Its a quick read and the series seems to have much potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Trying.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robyn Williamson They really get better. I read one of the prequels first and really enjoyed it. Going back and reading the earliest ones has just been painful. Whatever you do, make sure you skip Echo Burning(#5). So horribly bad!

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Szoo I agree. I will probably finish this as the story is not bad, but the plot holes! OMG...a lot of eye rolling here. First of all, no explanation of why they let Jack Reacher live after the initial kidnapping. They kill everyone else. There are great action novels out there without the overly obvious plot holes and incongruities. For example, Michael Connelly or Dennis Lehanee.

Trina I didn't get why they didn't kill Reacher in the beginning either. Especially considering his size.