Amanda's Reviews > Body of Work: Meditations on Mortality from the Human Anatomy Lab

Body of Work by Christine Montross

Jan 26, 2011

bookshelves: biography-memoir, north-america
Read from January 21 to 26, 2011 , read count: 1

There were three(!) pages of critical praise for this book at the beginning of the text. I kind of rolled my eyes and thought that there was simply no way this was that good and that deserving.

I was wrong. It is clear that Montross was a writer before she was a medical student -- every word, every phrasing, every musing she has on her cadaver Eve is poetic and thoughtful. She doesn't shy away from details, so if you have a weak stomach or can't stand reading about surgeries and the body, this wouldn't be a book for you. But if you can, do it. It's an incredible journey through life, death, the human condition, and a bit of history of cadavers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body of Work.

01/21/2011 page 31
10.0% "Already worthy of the three pages of praise at the beginning of the book."
01/23/2011 page 128
42.0% ""The names arrange themselves in my fingers as I feel from skull to collarbone...And as I feel them on you, beneath your flexible and warm skin, I know their shapes and identites because I am picturing the lifeless structures of the body flayed open.""
01/24/2011 page 234
77.0% "Not for the faint of heart."