Catherine's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Michelle Rowen

2.5 Stars

This book captured my attention right from the start. Jillian was just a normal girl, minding her own business at work, when she was used as a hostage and injected with some mysterious serum. The next thing she knows, she’s been kidnapped and is on her way to a scientist to see if they can save her from the serum’s deadly effects.

The guy who kidnaps her is Declan, none other than the hero of the book. After meeting him and seeing his behavior toward Jillian—because he is a pretty cold, harsh man in the beginning—I had to double check the back cover to make sure that he was actually someone I was supposed to like. Yep, he’s the hero. I was pretty skeptical that the author could pull off making me like him, but she did. The details we learned about him and the reasons for his behavior were very convincing. Kudos to the author for creating such a believable back and forth in personality.

The attraction was a little hard to believe. Not the fact that they would be attracted to each other, but the fact that it happened so quickly. It’s kind of hard for me to swallow Jillian going from terrified and angry about being kidnapped to being hot for Declan. But if I ignored how quickly everything happens, I kind of liked them together.

I really, really liked Jillian. I think some might dislike the fact that she’s a victim for most of the book, but I liked it. Not the victim thing, but the fact that she wasn’t Billy Badass like most other UF heroines. This girl was not tough and the serum did not turn her into a Buffy clone. She was still just a regular girl without any increased strength or healing. The only difference was the effect her blood had on vampires. I would actually say that the serum put her at an even further disadvantage than a regular human. She still healed as slow and could still die, but now she had to deal with smelling irresistible to them and having to avoid getting munched on at every turn. It was different than the norm and I found it refreshing.

Jillian had a great voice as the narrator. There were so many quotable lines that I had a hard time resisting the urge to update frequently on Goodreads.

Nightshade is an Urban Fantasy, but it straddles the Romance line at times. I think some people might find themselves confused about what genre it is exactly and find themselves disappointed if they were expecting a HEA. Just make sure you go into it with the right set of expectations.

So, I’ve gone over what I liked and now I have to go over what I hated. The first 3/4 of the book was a 4 heart grade for me, but the last 1/4 was a 1 heart. I averaged it out to end up with the 2.5 heart final grade. I am going to put my dislikes in the spoilers. Please people, do not read them if you don’t want to be spoiled. These will not be tiny spoilers, they’ll be spoilers for a major event in the end. Be warned.

(view spoiler)

So…I don’t think I’m going to be continuing with this series. It’s regrettable, because the beginning was good and I really like this author’s Living in Eden series, but I do not like where this series seems to be headed at all.

Favorite Quote:
"My name's Jillian," I said. "Jillian Conrad. My friends call me Jill."

Taking it to a friendly introduction level might make all the difference. Make him see that I wasn't just a random hostage. I was a normal person with a normal life and I didn't deserve any of this.

His lips thinned. "Jillian?"

I nodded eagerly. "Yes."

"Shut the fuck up, Jillian."

Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

02/11/2011 page 15
4.0% "

"My name's Jillian," I said. "Jillian Conrad. My friends call me Jill."

His lips thinned. "Jillian?"

I nodded eagerly. "Yes."

"Shut the fuck up, Jillian."

" 4 comments
02/11/2011 page 59
17.0% ""Once we got through the door his legs gave out and he crashed to the wooden floor. Couldn't stop it if I'd tried. I hadn't really tried.""
02/11/2011 page 97
28.0% ""I was afraid of him on too many levels to count. But there was also a part of Declan Reyes--the man who'd put me in danger, threatened to kill me, kidnapped me, tossed me around and bullied me, but also saved my life and comforted me when I'd been sick--that I'd slowly begun to depend on and even...like. And that was just as scary as anything else I'd had to deal with today."" 3 comments
02/11/2011 page 140
40.0% "Holy crap! I can't believe they did that!" 23 comments
02/12/2011 page 255
72.0% "I did not like that at all. Was that seriously necessary? My enjoyment just took a huge hit. :\" 9 comments
02/12/2011 page 278
79.0% "*sigh* I'm struggling to reconnect to this book but it's not working out well for me. I guess I'll just have to put it down and try again tomorrow." 13 comments
02/14/2011 page 325
92.0% "This book only has 325 pages if some lovely librarian would like to fix it. :)"

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 18: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay Hi Cathetine! how is it so far? good? bad? PNR or Uf'ish?

Catherine Hi, Shay! I like it so far, it's really interesting. I would definitely say this is more UF-ish than PNR. It seems to be headed for a romance, but it's also in first person and just feels more like a UF.

The setup is really interesting and all the details we learn about Declan are very unique.

message 16: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay 10x. I'll check it out... I liked Rowen's "living in eden".
Problem is that when the series is still young, and i have to wait alot of time between the 1st and 2nd books, i dont feel invested enough in the story to actually read the next book whan it comes out. i just luse it. so maybe I'll wait with this one...

Know what i mean?

message 15: by Catherine (last edited Feb 13, 2011 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Catherine I know exactly what you mean. A lot of times I just forget about them when the next book comes out a year later. I know the creative process takes time, but a year is a really long time.

I really like her Living in Eden series too! That's actually what made me pick this book up. I recognized the author's name.

message 14: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay Have you read the 2nd book in the Eden series?

Catherine Yes, I read it when it came out. I really enjoyed it!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Did you end up finishing this one? I read it and I think I felt the same way you did. It really was a strange book. Kinda lost between UF & PNR and it goes back and forth. I'll be curious regarding your final rating.

Catherine Not yet. I will today though.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead At least "something" happened at the end. LOL! I didn't like the ending either but I was just happy it was more urban fantasy towards the end.

Catherine Did you not like the romance-ish part of it?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "Did you not like the romance-ish part of it?"

I didn't. I didn't believe it. It seemed too setup. But, I did like the urban fantasy part even though that wasn't well executed either. The book seemed so lost, like the author didn't know what she wanted to do with her own book.

Catherine I liked the fact that Jillian didn't turn into a badass, but I didn't like where the author took the victim role at the end. I agree that the attraction kind of popped up out of nowhere, but I really liked the reason behind Declan's polarized behavior. Very interesting and a smart way to make the heroine likable and sympathetic while explaining away certain actions.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Catherine wrote: "But where was she going with it? Because the end seemed weird and not to fit well.
.."

I think where she was going is "Book 2"! She either was approved for a book 2 and cut book 1 off in a place that she originally did not anticipate or already knew she was going to write a book 2 so she just kinda ended it. THAT is my pet peeve!

Catherine LOL! That is definitely irritating. You should jump over to Lethal's review and rant with us. :)

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) This doesn't sound very good!!!

Catherine I wasn't very pleased with it.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Thank you for the content warning! (in the spoiler)

Catherine Michael wrote: "Thank you for the content warning! (in the spoiler)"

No problem. :)