Anthony's Reviews > Changes

Changes by Jim Butcher

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: supernatural-detectives
Read in April, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I tore through this book over the course of a couple of days, but any breaks I took from reading were because I had to be someplace or do something. I finished it in a mad dash, staying up til 3am despite having to be awake again at 7am.

Another terrific entry in The Dresden Files, and the title on this one says it all. There are massive changes to the status quo established in the earlier books of the series, starting from the very first sentence and running right up to the very last. There are changes in characters' personalities, in relationships, even in the overall tone of the book. While Harry's pop-culture-referencing sense of humor is intact, it is also definitely showing the strain of too much piling up on our oh-so-human wizard.
Almost every supernatural entity Harry has ever encountered either shows up in this book or is referenced in some way. Events from the first book through the last are mentioned and some of them are explained at least a little bit (if you're paying attention). New readers picking this book up first will easily "get" most of what's going on and be able to follow what is essentially one long action-adventure novel, but long-time readers will notice all the little dropped hints and nods to past mysteries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changes.