Shani's Reviews > Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius

Montessori by Angeline Stoll Lillard

F_50x66
May 24, 07

Recommended for: Anyone interested in education
Read in November, 2006

I probably should give this book more than 3 stars, it is deserving of more, I think I didn't give it more because it presented, to me at least, a lot of information I already knew.

What was new to me was the presentation of the evolution of the current education system. What the author says about how schools, "traditional schools" are taught and why there is so much room for improvement, is right-on-the-money.

We are a country so unwillingly to accept unconventional educational methods, yet are jobs and how we work continue to change. Montessori is more child-centered and develops drive and an appreciation of gaining knowledge, which I think everyone should wish for their child when the reach adulthood.

I do believe Montessori is not for every child, but I also believe it gets a bad rap, because people considering it for their child don't take enough time to understand it or investigate the school they are considering. Like with anything, all private and public schools included, each is different and some do a better job than others.

At a minimum read it for her comparison of the learning methods.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Montessori.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This is also one of the books I am currently "reading". It'll be summer before I realistically pick it up again. I am not very far, but I enjoyed reading about the history of traditional education. It reminded me of one of my undergraduate courses.