Laura Pratz's Reviews > L.A. Candy

3920469
Jan 21, 11

Read in January, 2011

Plot:
Jane and Scarlett move to L.A. a year after they graduate high school so that Scarlett can attend U.S.C. and Jane can intern for an event planner. When in a club, a man approaches them telling them that he has a pitch for a reality T.V. show, and that he thinks they'd be perfect for it.

Before long, Jane and Scarlett are being followed by cameras taping their every move, and the spotlight is not as sweet as they thought it would be.

This is the third time I've read this book, and it has still not lost it's magic on me. The plot is great. There are a lot of books about reality T.V., and how people go from nobodies to overnight superstars, but Lauren Conrad managed to make her story different from all of the others out there.

The plot was fast-paced, and interesting at all times. There were a couple of twists and turns, and I was always wanting to read more and more.

Characters:
The characters were well-developed and extremely realistic. They each had their own personalities, and weren't just remakes or cliches of characters in other books. I felt like I could really relate to them.

Writing:
Lauren has a way with words. She made the book exciting and fun, and something that I want to read and re-read time and time again.

She did a great job of writing from different perspectives. I've noticed that a lot of authors, when writing from the different points-of-view, give the characters the same voices. But Lauren did an awesome job of distinguishing the different characters' personalities in their chapters.

Ending:
The ending was perfect; everything that I would want in a first novel. It left me practically drooling for the second book.

Not to mention, I gasp everytime I come to the ending part, even though I know what's going to happen.

It's that good.

Cover:
I love the simplicity of the cover, and how there's one pop of color. I also reallllly like the fonts used (on the cover AND in the book).

Lovely Line:
Jane laughed a little bit at the idea and tried to catch Scarlett's eye, but she was staring at her water glass. They were about to take off on a big adventure, but Jane wondered if either of them was ready for it.

It didn't occur to Jane until later that night, as she lay awake trying to ignore her fear and excitement so she could finally fall asleep, that not once during their unspeakable glitzy, glamorous, life-altering lunch at the Ivy had Trevor actually asked them if they wanted to be on L.A. Candy. He just assumed they would.

He had been right.
(Page 102)

The Final Verdict:
If you're one of those people that are completely against reading a book by a reality T.V. star, look past that and go get this book.

My mom's friend also read it, and loved it just as much as I did, so I really think that L.A. Candy is fantastic for all ages.

I recommend this if you want a fun, fast read that leaves you entertained and excited to read more of Lauren Conrad's books.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read L.A. Candy.

01/06/2011 page 59
18.0% "This is the third time I've read this book, and it's been fantastic every time! :D"