Sean Sullivan's Reviews > A River Runs Through It

A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: favorites
read count: 2

This book is so good I have trouble telling people about it. This might be because it is so easy to start off with, "Well, it's this book about fly fishing..." The truth is the book IS about fly fishing: but more than that it is about life, family, love, brotherhood, and growing up. It is the first novel the University of Chicago Press published, and if you read it, you'll understand why. The lyricism of the words, the eloquence of the imagery, and the poignancy of the story combine to make this what really should be considered an essential American classic. It reads like good poetry, flows like a river, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River Runs Through It.

Quotes Sean Liked

Norman Maclean
“So it is that we can seldom help anybody. Either we don't know what part to give or maybe we don't like to give any part of ourselves. Then, more often than not, the part that is needed is not wanted. And even more often, we do not have the part that is needed.”
Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It