Yair Bezalel's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Jan 21, 11

Not perfect, but I kind of don't think it's supposed to be read as such. I read "The Bear" back in high school and hated it. It was boring, pretentious, and frequently borderline incoherent. A lot of those feelings still existed when I read this novel, but I am happy to say I enjoyed this story a lot more. The Compson family and their rapid decay into nothingness is presented to the readers in (at times) absurdly powerful language. The non linearity of the text and the stream of conscious sections (which to me at first seemed random and imprecise when I read the bear) here feel much more focused, worked together into a sort of dissection of the human mind as such a small, fragile, and confused thing. Not an easy read and not entirely brilliant (Faulkner has a tendency to say in paragraphs what can be said in two words) but it is, ultimately, a intelligently bizarre piece of work that deserves to be studied and read through to its end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.