Sheenab's Reviews > Abarat

Read in January, 2011

Book Review
Abarat: The First Journey by Clive Barker

Content
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did, I was immersed in it. I usually set goals for myself in reading a certain number of pages and when I started this novel, I was behind about 120pages. Then as soon as I got into it, I made up those pages and finished two days earlier than my original goal. Barker uses the perspective of many fascinating characters to bring together world, different from the one that humans know. The only thing that could be better about this book are the names of some of the characters, creatures, objects, etc. Again, I compare this book to J.K Rolwing's and now Ric Rodian's work, because their characters, objects and creatures are so real to me. When I hear words like Dark Mark, grindylow and such I can actually picture these things. I am hoping that as these books continue I will get more of an idea the different objects such as glyphs, but as of now it is hard to imagine them. I also do like the fact that Barker includes pictures in his books; it helps make up for the lack of visual cues in the written form.

Writing Ability
As, mentioned in the above, Barker has created a great story line, that absorbs his audience into the world of the Abarat. I think he has a great ability in transitioning perspectives of different characters, which really strengthen his book. Having such diverse and complex characters realy make this book worth while. Not all is evil and not all is good; no one is all powerful and no one is totally weak and helpless. The only critique I have for his writing style, is that he tells what is happening in the scene, before it happens and then shows it happening. For example (not in the book).

"The swan swam in the water towards Marko."

Then it reads something like this.

"The water was rippling, as the swan swam up to him."
I feel you don't need to tell the first sentence because you are showing it in the second sentence.

Final
Overall I liked this book and would reccomend it to people who love adventure books. I am looking forward to reading the second book that is already out and hope that Barker is working on more for the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abarat.