tonya.'s Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Feb 07, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, 2011, favorites-of-2011, music-centric, ugly-tears, ya, arcs, swoons, contemporary
Read from February 04 to 06, 2011

I'll try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible.

"Please don't make me write a song for you."

That was the line that made me burst into tears for the first time in If I Stay. The one that made me fall in love with Adam. The one that made me, after sitting on the fence with her, want her to stay.

Where She Went is about the songs Adam ends up writing for Mia; the destruction left in her wake when she disappeared. It's exactly as gut-wrenching and painful as I'd imagined it to be, but just like If I Stay, it's no less gorgeous for all the heartache.

I'll admit I was skeptical when I heard there was a sequel coming out. I only just read If I Stay a couple of weeks ago, and the brutally painful beauty of it still felt a little bit like a fresh bruise; a little tender to the touch. I didn't know what could possibly stand up to that, and more--if anything should try. It seemed a little bit like messing with perfection.

But, they're almost two separate entities. Where She Went isn't so much of a follow up as it is an offshoot, almost. Whereas If I Stay was about loss, Where She Went is about grieving, and how hard it can be to heal. The theme of choice ties the books together; choosing to wallow, to hold on to things long gone. Choosing to let things happen rather than to make yourself happy.

I found myself very upset with Mia through about 75% about the book, which I think is a testament to Forman's writing and the way she enabled me to become completely immersed in Adam's point of view. There was one point where I was sure I was not going to get the resolution that I wanted. And I would have been okay with it, which is another big point for Forman. In all actuality, it would have been a realistic conclusion to their story. But, despite that realism, I was so happy with the way it ended.

After an entire book of heartache and another of angst, the smile the last few pages spawned made it all seem worth it.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

Quotes tonya. Liked

Gayle Forman
“I look at her there in the shadows of the shut-down city, her hair falling onto her face, and I can see her trying to figure out if I’ve lost it. And I have to fight the urge to take her by the shoulders and slam her against a shuttered building until we feel the vibrations ringing through both of us. Because I suddenly want to hear her bones rattle. I want to feel the softness of her flesh give, to hear her gasp as my hip bone jams into her. I want to yank her head back until her neck is exposed. I want to rip my hands through her hair until her breath is labored. I want to make her cry and then lick up the tears. And then I want to take my mouth to hers, to devour her alive, to transmit all the things she can’t understand.”
Gayle Forman, Where She Went

02/04/2011 "I'm so excited (slash scared) to start this! Celebrity girlfriend? Bitch better step off."
02/05/2011 page 93
36.0% "God, I feel for Adam so much. And though I think I understand the basics of why she left, I kind of want to throttle Mia. Or, have him yell at her, at the very least. I hope they quit dancing around each other awkwardly soon. There are some gorgeous lines in this book. Forman paints such a picture."

Sunshiny Me this is out already???? i was just about to read book 1 but i didn't know 2 was available. doh.

tonya. Nope, not yet! April, I think. A friend of mine let me borrow her advanced copy. :) You should read the first, it's amazing. Incredibly sad, but gorgeous.

Sunshiny Me on it. TY!

Lisa (Fic Talk) ooh! Lucky duck!