Naleen's Reviews > Carrion Comfort

Mar 07, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 10 to March 07, 2011

A book about Nazis and vampires boasted as one of the best horror books ever sounds pretty exciting, huh? If those are the reasons you are picking this book up, you should probably put it right back down. These are not vampires in any sense of the recognizable definitions that any reasonable person would think of. But, ok, it's a new way to look at vampires. I get that. But there are only two Nazi vampires and most of the book is set in 1980. Some books age better than others. I got the impression that Dan Simmons was very much impressed by his use of technology through out the book. But I wish he hadn't concentrated so much on it because I could only imagine the story moving along a lot quicker if everyone had a damn cell phone. I can't really hold this against Simmons, but I probably won't read the book again partly because of this.
Simmons does a reasonable job with characters. I found myself mostly believing in them and he even offers an explanation as to why the evil ones are so one dimensional (they never get past Kohlberg's first stage of moral development). I also enjoyed the pseudo-scientific explanations that attempted to explain the mind-vampires' Ability.
I did not enjoy the cheesy action sequences. In some parts the book felt like it was written just so someone would make a movie out of it. I skimmed over these long sections and only paid attention enough to figure out which characters lived through them and where they went afterward.
The biggest problem for me with this book is that it DID NOT scare me at all.The idea is interesting, and the book is written well enough for me to read the whole giant thing, but for some reason I just couldn't let myself be scared by it.
So, if you like horror and really really really long novels, this book is for you. But if you want a scarier vampire novel about vampires, I'd probably just read "Let the Right One In" instead.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrion Comfort.