Tara (Fiction Folio)'s Reviews > Class Collision: Fall from Grace

Class Collision by Annette Mackey

Jan 21, 2011

Read in February, 2011

Class Collision is centered mostly around a boy named David who comes from a very wealthy family and is considered the "golden child" even though he has a terrible attitude and treats people as if they were worthless. One day, David and his brother, Alex, are kidnapped and held for ransom and their worlds are turned upside down. Not only were the boys kidnapped, they were berated, ridiculed, and mentally/physically/emotionally abused. The author pulled at your heartstrings and my heart just ached for these two boys. You felt their humiliation, their sadness, and every other emotion they felt while they were being held captive.

Alex manages to escape, while David is held for a little while longer and then eventually left for dead. David does survive, and the rest of the book focuses on him rebuilding a new life for himself and learning how to survive in a world he is not familiar with – one that is not full of wealth and privilege. This journey is what really sucked me into the story. You see David as a man, even though he is still a teenager because he has had to grow up at an alarmingly fast rate. He has never experienced a real relationship with someone other than family, so when Linda comes along, he has no idea what to do. I loved watching him grow and explore his emotions, even though he royally messed up at times due to his lack of experience. These mess-ups were endearing and made me like David even more.

Linda played such a key role in David's development and taught him more than he had ever learned in his previous sheltered life. She hurt him, disappointed him, cared for him, and eventually fell in love with him. Even though most of these emotions are not exactly fun to experience, they were imperative to David's growth as a man.

Needless to say, I cannot wait to read the next book in the series, Phoenix Rising, to see where the story heads next. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in coming-of-age stories mixed with historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Class Collision.

02/15/2011 page 62
21.0% "LOVING this book so far!"
show 1 hidden update…