Matt's Reviews > Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run Successful Community Discussion Boards

Managing Online Forums by Patrick O'Keefe

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: biz-reads
Read in December, 2010

At times this went too deep into the quibbles of forum denizens and the author seemed to be a bit obsessed with governance. Governance is important, but his suggestions came off a bit autocratic at times. Beyond those issues, this book is a practical guide to setting up an entire community, not just forums as the title suggests.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Managing Online Forums.

message 1: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Hello Mr. Paddock,

Thanks for reading the book and taking the time to post a review. I live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and am about an hour and a half away from Norfolk. It's the airport that I use whenever I fly.

Governance, or (in my eyes) the management of an online community, is really the primary focal point of the book. It touches most areas, as I see it, and, though the book has complementary sections on marketing, monetization, etc. - management is definitely the focus.

Obsessed is an interesting word. I have been managing online communities for 10 years now and I would say that I am deeply passionate about this space. It might come off as obsession, but my aim with the book was to share everything - everything! - that I've learned and to pack it with as much information as I could share. To deliver as much value as I could and be very detailed.

Autocratic is another interesting word, as well. I was once told that a well run, structured online community is, at best, a benevolent dictatorship. I believe that to be generally true, at least in the context with which I am speaking: a productive, structured online community.

Obviously, there are community structures that are less, well, structured and that is neither bad nor good (just like having a firm structure is neither bad nor good). It's mainly a choice and there are a lot of choices one can make when it comes to online community.

When I write something, I don't intend it to be the be-all, end-all choice. What I want to do is present some thoughts and actions, based on experience and then, what I hope that people do is take them into consideration and use them to become better at what they do.

I know that I am always learning and growing from what I read and allowing others to improve my work or strengthen my convictions. It's all a process of improvement and being open to learning is crucial to this process.

I am sorry that you did not find the book to your liking. But, if there is anything I can do to fill in any blanks or speak specifically on a topic you had hoped would be covered, please feel free to ask me, either here or via e-mail at

Thanks again,