Airiz C's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jan 21, 2011

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, my-favorites, science-fiction, romance, butt-kicking-heroines
Read in September, 2010 — I own a copy

The Games maybe over, but the Capitol wants revenge.

After winning the seventy fourth Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark go back to District 12, expecting to finally live a peaceful life. However, their last act in the arena—the very cause why both of them are declared winners—was done against the harsh rules of the Capitol. Katniss and Peeta discovered that because of this, they have unwittingly helped to create a spark of rebellion among the districts. Our protagonists must again strive to survive—not only for themselves, but for their loved ones as well.

Much like its predecessor, Catching Fire did not let me down. It is certainly a great read; spellbinding reads like an understatement, but for the lack of a better term, let’s just leave it like that. The insane amount of action is still there as well as the right dash of drama…and now, a lot of politics too! It contains less fluff, not because “romantic” moments are decreased, but because those bits are a lot deeper than just pure giddiness. It pulled me in, though not as fast as I’m pulled in by The Hunger Games. The moment it did, the rest is history. Oh, when you encounter readers of The Hunger Games trilogy, take them seriously when they say they can’t put the series down and it keeps them up at night. They’re not kidding. XD

I have to say it’s a more intelligent book than The Hunger Games. There is a part that I thought has innuendos concerning food supply in our society nowadays. It’s in the scene where Katniss and Peeta attended a ball in the Capitol during their Victory Tour. They want to taste all the foods on the table, but they easily became full. Someone approaches them and points out to them a vomiting closet, saying that they can keep on eating the whole night if they’re going to throw up. Katniss and Peeta go away, thinking that while these despicable people thrive on self-indulgence, most of the families in the districts are suffering from starvation. Not quite subtle, but not direct either.

The best thing about the books is that I can’t figure out what’s going to happen next, making me turn the page until I lose track of time. I don’t like my predictions about the next events coming true when it comes to reading—I’ve had enough of the cliches, thank you. And speaking of time, I was impressed about the thematic use of the clock in the new Quarter Quell arena. You know there is something going on the moment a Gamemaker pulls out that golden watch with the mockingjay on it. Our main protagonists’ return to the arena is a surprise to me, and so are the underlying plan of the other tributes about it. The seventy-fifth Hunger Games will be unforgettable—if not the last. I’m guessing that Katniss and the others will be able to stop this barbaric event by the end of Mockingjay. We’ll see soon.

As for the characters, they are, as in the first book, well-developed. The new tributes radiate more energy compared to the ones in the seventy fourth games, are given more life and identity. I immediately liked Johanna Manson and Finnick Odair. A few more steps and they are going to be fully three-dimensional. I’m so excited for Mockingjay!
Lastly, the cliffhanger. I hope anyone now invents a new word that is more intense than “cliffhanger”, something that would suit the ending of Catching Fire. *bites nails in anticipation*

I highly recommend this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.