Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > The Immortal Highlander

The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 21, 2011

bookshelves: fever, historical-romance, pararnormal-romance
Read in January, 2011

This a great book for many reasons. It's a fun romance on its surface, but it's also a treasure trove of Easter Eggs for fans of both the Highlander and Fever series.

Adam Black is our male lead. As a member of the Seelie (Light) Fae Court, he's got a tie in to just about every one of the previous Highlander books. But in the last installment, The Dark Highlander, he pushed the Fae Queen too far, when he advocated for the life of Highlander Dageus MacKeltar. As punishment for his insolence, she makes him human. Not only that, she makes him invisible to the humans around him and takes away his ability to see other Fae. He is completely alone.. until he runs into Gabby. She is a sidhe-seer, someone who can see beyond Fae glamour. She can see and hear Adam... in all his sexy glory. She fights her attraction to him. But who could resist such a seduction?

As Adam works to regain his immortality, the two travel to Scotland and team up the MacKeltar clan. At the same time, Darroc, another member of the Fae court, is plotting to kill Adam. He doesn't want Adam to interfere with his plan to break the covenant between man and Fae. So Darroc calls forth "Hunters," from the dark Unseelie realm to find our couple and dispatch them.

If you are a fan of the Highlander series, you can't miss this one. Adam finally gets to feel what it's like to be one of the humans he is so enamoured with. We get to see or hear about past heroes like Drustan, Dageus & Circenn... even Grimm's family get a shout out. And for fans of the Fever series... this book is essentially a primer for all that we see in those books. We learn about the sidhe-seers and their relationship to the Fae, the Hunters, Darroc, and the series of events that lead almost directly to Darkfever.

I liked this book for the love story at face value --but LOVED it for its place in Karen Marie Moning's rich and complex world. 4 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Highlander.