Stephanie's Reviews > I Am the Chosen King

4519035
Jan 21, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, favorites
Read from February 02 to 18, 2012

I first discovered Helen Hollick on Goodreads. When I read Forever Queen I was captivated by the story of Queen Emma. The story was so beautifully written, I wanted to continue on to the sequel as soon as I could. In the sequel the story moves on to Harold Godwinsson. He becomes King of England after Edward dies. Harold was the last Saxon King of England.

The horrid Duke William of Normandy wants England for himself. So he invades England which leads up to the Battle of Hastings. Needless to say I was devastated when Harold died, especially in such a horrific way. But I understand Helen wanting to stay true as possible to the Historical events that took place.

It has taken me a while to write this review due to the fact the story is so good I wanted it to do the story justice. Helen said to me, “Just be honest, even the “didn’t like” bits. Constructive criticism is always welcome.” I reply,“ In my little fantasy world if I were to change anything. It would be that my love king Harold would have crushed Duke William and his army, taken all his lands and live happily after with me.”

Throughout reading this amazing story, I kept on thinking how Helen describes the politics and drama of the royal court. She describes it as if she lived during that time to see it all unfold with her very eyes. That is how wonderful and intriguing the story is. One can tell that Helen does extensive research on her subjects and history, which is inspiring. I could only dream of becoming as good a writer as she. I mean that with the upmost sincerity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Chosen King.

02/02/2012 page 68
11.0% "So much to take in! Love it!"
02/07/2012 page 142
24.0% "I think I'm in love with Harold! lol." 1 comment
02/08/2012 page 186
31.0% "This story flows so well it has held my attention and I don't want to put it down! I wish I had more time in the day to read on without stopping."
02/15/2012 page 468
81.0% "My Nook has 711 pages of this book. I truly love this story! I really wish I had more time in the day to read. :("
show 4 hidden updates…