Peg's Reviews > Crescent Dawn

Crescent Dawn by Clive Cussler

F_50x66
Jan 21, 11

Read in January, 2011

I haven't read too much that Cussler has written, but I have enjoyed the few I've read. I was encouraged to read this one, mainly because the beginning of the book is set in Istanbul and it was very interesting to follow that action through the sites and sounds of that city. The plot proceeds to envelope mysterious stuff going on with a "manifest", a plot to destroy sacred areas of Jerusalem, and a sunken ship from the Ottoman era found off the Turkish coast with Roman relics aboard. All of this sounds intriguing, and I guess it is. The problem in my eyes, was the lack of compelling dialogue and description. I rarely become disinterested enough to flip through the last quarter of the novel, but this is what I did. I have found that once a successful author (in this case Clive Cussler) takes on co-authors, the quality of the work often seems to diminish. In this case, the book has both Clive and his son Dirk Cussler as authors. My guess is that Dirk did most of the writing and his apparently isn't the writer his father is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crescent Dawn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by leigh (new)

leigh booth hi peg, hope all is well in texas!! try the museum of innocence by orhan pamuk - setting is istanbul 1975. good story of young people shuffling modern and tradition,,,,, xo leigh

message 2: by Fostrosky (new)

Fostrosky No familiar with this author, but I agree with your comment and observation about co-authors. I find that to be true with the Patterson books. Fran

message 3: by Peg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peg Fostrosky wrote: "No familiar with this author, but I agree with your comment and observation about co-authors. I find that to be true with the Patterson books. Fran"

I also agree with James Patterson. I used to read whatever his new one was and slowly became disappointed, especially when coauthored. Texas is good (and not so cold) although it goes to freezing some nights. We are planning on coming to PA in April for a couple of weeks.

message 4: by Peg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peg leigh wrote: "hi peg, hope all is well in texas!! try the museum of innocence by orhan pamuk - setting is istanbul 1975. good story of young people shuffling modern and tradition,,,,, xo leigh"

I read Pamuk's autobio named Istanbul and I have Snow on my to read list. I also know about Museum of Innocence, but haven't gotten a copy so far. Texas is good. Cold at night, but temps go up during day. I get out to K.C. and ride. We are planning on coming to PA in April for a couple of weeks. Miss all the folks at home.