Sarah's Reviews > Enthusiasm

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: bookclub, juvenile-youth
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** 1. What is the deal with the names in this book. Grandison? Ned? come on! How am I supposed to like a hero whose name is Grandison?

2. Despite what Julie says in the book, Ashleigh was right, Julie is Jane Bennett and Grandison is more a cross between a Bingley and Darcy. He's not proud, but he's not boisterous. There is the mis-communication about their feelings for one another similar to Jane and Bingley. In Pride and Prejudice quiet Jane is with the amiable and talkative Bingley and lively Elizabeth is with the quiet and proud Darcy. The girls in the book try to compare themselves and the boys to these characters but it doesn't match up. Of course I like that Ashleigh ended up with Ned, they have more in common. Maybe the author is saying that Elizabeth should have been with Bingley because they are more fun loving?

3. Julie complains about people thinking she is upset about their own problems/reasons and not really wanting to find out the real reason. But I think she is also very selfish for not paying attention to what other people in her life are going through, like her stepmother and her miscarriage. She was so oblivious and rude not to notice.

4. In all the romance in the story is ok. I don't think I'd have a desire to pick it up again. There just wasn't much to the story. In the end she never comes clean with her friend about how had always felt about Parr.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enthusiasm.