Lance's Reviews > Nation of Rebels: Why Counterculture Became Consumer Culture

Nation of Rebels by Joseph Heath

Feb 01, 08

bookshelves: politics, economics, social-commentary
Recommended for: Sheep and people who buy Che T-shirts

Yes, the mainstream co-ops counterculture, and so then we can argue that counter culture fuels mainstream consumption. Witness today's hip-hop culture. So ultimately the authors argument seems to be that of the Borg, "resistance is futile, you will be assimilated." It's hopeless, so just give into it. But not so fast. I remain unconvinced.

I don't buy organic because it is over-priced and sets me apart from the crowd. I buy it because it is the right thing to do, and the more that do it, the better. And how can going local and building communities get co-opted in the sense that large corporations are behind it? I don't think it can. If farmer's markets become hip, great! If they become corporate backed, well then that really isn't a local farmer's market, is it? I'm going to the real one.

The first half of the book, I really enjoyed. It was a nice setup, but in the second half, the author(s) just couldn't close the deal. They really make a huge leap over lot's of real issues to draw a weak conclusion.

I'm not trying to purchase anything cool or different. I buy stuff that is recycled, practical, lasts, and is made by people that get paid a fair wage. Assimilate that! That'd be a step in the right direction.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nation of Rebels.