Earl Grey Tea's Reviews > The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings

The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: american-literature, short-stories, horror
Read in January, 2011

I picked up this book to get some exposure to literature beyond my time period. I do have to say that the range of writings by Poe was quite extensive. By comparison to modern standards, the “horrors” that he wrote about were not so greatly intense to me, though a few lines here or there could be a tad gruesome.

For educational purposes, I have to say that this book quite interesting and I was able to come away felling a bit more cultured. It was nice to discuss some of his stories with some learned people that I met while reading this book. Some of his stories are quite captivating and I can see why they are considered classics. I was extremely fascinated to learn that he is considered the author of the first modern day Detective story, a precursor to Sherlock Holmes and many other famous writers.

The pace of quite a few of his short stories felt rushed at parts and dragged out at others. Also, many of them seemed to end abruptly and left a anti-climatic feeling. His actual full length novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, was an interesting piece though quite awkward. The writing styles shifted throughout the story and the ended was cut short and left with no conclusion.

Overall, I couldn’t read over four hundred pages of Poe straight. I had to jump back and forth between other books in order to not be burnt out. I am glad that I read the book, but I doubt I will ever pick up the book to read in full; only for reference of some his most noted works.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings.