Alicia's Reviews > A Map of the Known World

A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: boy, chicklit, dysfunctional, romance

While the books starts off slow and corny, it becomes rich once Cara finds a purpose-- that purpose is to showcase the artwork of her dead brother (the artwork she knew nothing about when he was alive since he was a bad-ass troublemaker). Cara's family life is all but destroyed, as Cara describes her family and house as a cemetary-- her father isolating hiimself and drinking and her mother perpetually sad and uncommunicative. And the person Cara shouldn't be with, Damian, Nate's best friend who was in the car when Nate crashed it, is the person she finds the most comofort with.

The second half of the story turns out beautifully, with discussions about life and death and purpose, art and beauty, family, loss and grief, and friendship (especially when friends become distant because they don't know how to handle a tragedy).

I loved the cover, which I why I picked it up in the first place, and was pleasantly suprised by the end. Just stick with it through the first third of the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Map of the Known World.