Morgan's Reviews > O: A Presidential Novel

O by Anonymous

2014051
Feb 22, 11

Read in February, 2011

Even though the reviews for this book were awful, my fascination with politics and all the hype around the release of this book got the better of me, and I had to see for myself. Well, hype is about all it was. Penning an anonymous novel is pretty presumptuous--you set the bar pretty high about the kind of insider information you're going to share, even if it is a novel, if revealing yourself would be that damaging. The only "insider" stuff this author has is inane campaign nuts and bolts that probably aren't even interesting to the people who lived them. I found every character unlikeable and without personality. Everyone on the left comes off as self righteous, entitled, patronizing, and just kind of slimy, and the Republican candidate running against "O," also quite self righteous, is straight out of Pleasantville--unfailingly perfect, and more in a gag-inducing than endearing way. The ending is a total letdown, too, if that's possible, and to top it off, the book is not even well written. Its only redeeming features were the mild entertainment (that quickly fades) in recognizing who the fictional characters were inspired by--and that it ended quickly. Honestly, If you're like me and can't resist checking it out yourself, no judgment--but I hope you'll be wiser than me and save yourself the time! I'm looking forward to reading "Primary Colors," the Clinton-era anonymous political novel that this one failed to measure up to.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read O.