DeLaina's Reviews > Rise of the Evening Star

Rise of the Evening Star by Brandon Mull

Feb 03, 2008

bookshelves: ya
Recommended to DeLaina by: my 10-yr old daughter Amanda, thanks to Jen Christensen's daught
Read in February, 2008

I liked the sequel to Fablehaven even better than Fablehaven itself. The author was able to flesh out the characters and each gained a lot of depth.

I read Fablehaven last night, and the sequel, Rise of the Evening Star, tonight, so they're quick reads at 3-4 hours each. (Thank you writer's strike and sick, clingy kids who INSIST on me holding them and not minding me reading at the same time!!!)

They’re fantasy, not unlike Harry Potter but more infused with value of the family. No Dudley or mean aunts and uncles to contend with. And, I LOVE the reading guide at the end of the book where the author (Brandon Mull) probes the depths of reading comprehension with thought-provoking questions.

The themes in the book are excellent too. For example, the girl is a rule-keeper and the boy is a curious mischief-maker, and one of the central themes is obedience. At the end you figure out that a measure of disobedience was necessary to set in motion the events that eventually lead to the ultimate demise of evil, which could not have happened otherwise. Fascinating!!! Book 3 comes out on my bday in April.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of the Evening Star.