Syzygous Zygote's Reviews > The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler

Jan 20, 2011

Mens' and womens' bodies aren't *that* different, but understanding what differences there are was a big reason I picked up this book, and I wasn't disappointed. I really like the pragmatic, whole-body approach to building practical strength, rather than the stereotypical approach of isolating specific muscles with machines and doing millions of crunches. This is a good place for a first-timer at picking up heavy things to start.

The section on food argues well against cutting calories, which is necessary for a women's strength-training book. I do have to say, though, the recipes in this book do NOT look good. I'm a foodie and probably biased, but they should be taken as inspiration and guidance (I didn't know you could put protein powder in your breakfast oatmeal) rather than recipes (oatmeal protein pancakes? seriously?).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Rules of Lifting for Women.