Micheline's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: favorites, multiple-reads, magic-witches-wizards, hero-worship, classics, fantasy, young-adult, epic
Recommended for: everyone
Read in November, 2011, read count: 7

The Order of the Phoenix is the 5th Harry Potter book and is decidedly the biggest book of the series. My feelings about Order of the Phoenix have always been a bit more complex than is the case for other Harry Potter books; but then again OotP has a complex plot. Book 5 finds Harry dealing with the aftermath of watching Voldemort come back from the dead...and coping with the loss of Cedric. Only this time around there is an added twist; Harry is now considered a threat to the Ministry. And to top it all off Dumbledore won't even look at Harry let alone speak to him. He must come to grips with Voldemort's return, Harry must also get used to more frequent glimpses into Voldemort's feelings...and mind which tend to make Harry angry and moody. He feels guilty about a connection that exists between himself and Voldemort, a connection he has never fully understood.

Like I said, my feelings about this book are complex. During my first readings, I always said this was my least favorite of the series, but upon re-reads my opinion has changed. There are so many things about OotP that I absolutely love. There are also some things that I used to hate; but that now I understand happened the way they did for a reason. OotP is a necessary evolution for Harry's character. He gets invaluable lessons early on; lessons that are difficult, and sometimes unpleasant but that will serve him well. J.K.R really establishes how difficult a battle this is for Harry. How it feels to be completely isolated. To believe in a cause so much you're willing to be the martyr, to never waver when you really believe in something. Yes Umbridge is absolutely heinous and unbearable. But it shows how far the Ministry is willing to go to avoid the truth; and the lengths to which politician will go to remain in power (not something all that difficult to imagine)

I will say, I found the Grawp storyline to be a something of a drag. And a little bit pointless to be honest. There really is no reason for his storyline because (view spoiler) I feel like OotP had enough plot and information that we could have done without that whole detour. (view spoiler)

The Harry from Order of the Phoenix is angry, bitter, confused, and isolated, but also realistic, determined and resolutely brave and compassionate. In some ways, I relate to Harry as a character so much more in OotP. Harry Potter will always be my favorite character in fiction. And despite being darker in this book, J.K.Rowling manages to have him ooze compassion...vulnerability...and love. Yes Dumbledore's favorite answer of love is probably what makes me read and re-read the Harry Potter series. JKR revealed many secrets at the end of this book, but she's not even close to done weaving her web :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

10/30/2011 page 143
11/07/2011 page 337
44.0% "I don't think there's a more heinous character than Dolores Umbridge...gah!"
11/24/2011 page 691
90.0% "Luna - There are ways of flying other than broomsticks. Ron- I 'spose we're going to ride on the back of the Kacky Snorgle or whatever it is? Luna - The Crumple-Horned Snorkack can't fly. LMFAO I'm dying!"
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kayla Luna! Who couldn't lover her. :)
I could have died laughing when Fred and George made their escape. :)

Micheline Agreed! I was seriously laughing out loud through that passage, even though I've read it before. :D I could just picture Ron being all annoyed with Luna and her replying all matter of factly lol

And for sure, Fred & George's escape was brilliant too :)

Kayla lol :)