Thomas Amo's Reviews > The Profession of Violence: The Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins

The Profession of Violence by John George Pearson

Jan 20, 2011

bookshelves: true-crime
Read in January, 1992 — I own a copy

November 1989 while on a trip to London, doing some research for my novel "Silence" I picked up a book at the London Dungeon called "London, The Sinister Side" and there was a section devoted to "The Kray Twins" I became fascinated by their story. I quickly got on the phone and called fellow author and screenwriter Scott Cherney and said, I just learned about these guys called "The Kray Twins" I think this will make a great film!"
he said you're too late, Peter Medak is shooting the film right now as we speak! But you're on the right track!

So when the film came out I just became more attracted to their story. I managed to find an original 1972 hardcover edition of John Pearson's book and devoured it! It's so well written I didn't want the book to end.
So I reach the end of the book and decide I have got to know more, I do my research and write a letter to Ronny Kray in Broadmore, He forwards my letter to Reggie who wrote me a wonderful personal letter. We begin a long exchange of letters and he puts me in touch with family members to talk about writing a new book on he and his brother Ron. The book was to be called "Half of One". Sadly both brothers became increasingly ill with cancer, once Ron passed away, Reggie lost his drive to go forward with the book, but continued to send me letters. I was very lucky indeed to see a side of the Krays away from tabloid lies and rumors. I'm not saying the boys were saints but I was lucky to learn about them from the lads themselves.

I highly recommend John Pearson's book he really does their story so much more justice than the film which places many of the events out of context.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Profession of Violence.

02/11/2016 marked as: read

Stephanie O'Neill I always thought there was more to them than meets the eye. I've just started reading the book and already I'm hooked! I've always found the Krays very interesting, it could be because my dad knew them when he was young. Dad used to be a panel-beater and he used to fix up the twin's cars. They loved his work so much that they continued to go back to him. Dad said they were complete down-to-earth gentlemen but you didn't want to get on the wrong side of them for "obvious reasons."
I have respect for the Kray twins because dad liked them and I have always trusted his judgement on people. Also, the Krays were good to their women and that's a number one on my list.

Thomas Amo Stephanie wrote: "I always thought there was more to them than meets the eye. I've just started reading the book and already I'm hooked! I've always found the Krays very interesting, it could be because my dad knew ..." Stephanie, thanks so much for your comment! I'd go with your dad's judgement as well. Naturally the movies have to hype things up for entertainment value. It will be interesting to see what Tom Hardy does in the upcoming film "Legend" as he takes on playing the Twins. Cheers Tom